Monday, June 20, 2011

Recipe Rewind: Baked Oatmeal




I'm taking you back to the early days of my blog, a few years ago. Baked oatmeal was added early on, had a terrible picture and no description of the dish. Let me just tell you that we eat a lot of breakfast around here; like every morning! No, really how I meant to say that was that I like to make breakfast often, I'm not into eating cold cereal every morning. My girls devour hot cereal, like cream of wheat and oatmeal, so I figured this baked oatmeal would hit the spot just as well.

No big surprise that it has been a big hit in our house over the years. It's a little sweeter than our usual oatmeal "mush," and the cinnamon and nutmeg make it even better. My favorite is the top of the baked oatmeal that gets a little crunchy, adding a little texture.

This is a really quick and easy breakfast to throw together with ingredients you're sure to have on hand.

Baked Oatmeal
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 oil (I used coconut oil, melted)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 cups oatmeal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 or 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk egg and oil. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the oatmeal and whisk until well incorporated. Fold in the oatmeal with a spatula.

Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared baking dish and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm, with a splash of milk and fresh fruit, if desired.

Linked to...
Mangia Mondays @ Delightfully Dowling

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...