Friday, March 7, 2014

Orange Ricotta Muffins


I'm always up for making something tasty for breakfast.  We haven't had cold cereal in so long when I actually do buy it my kids won't even eat it.  True story, when I was sick these past few months, I broke down and actually bought Lucky Charms because I had no energy for anything and I could really care less what everyone ate.  Well, it sat in my pantry unopened, uneaten.  My husband ended up eating it.

My husband is not really a breakfast eater, plus he leaves so early in the morning anyway, he probably doesn't care much that me misses out.  The rest of us like our warm muffins, pancakes, oatmeal, eggs, etc. and I enjoy making it. 

I had some leftover ricotta in the fridge and hated to let it go to waste so I thought these muffins would be perfect to make. Plus, I absolutely love orange and chocolate together.  The muffins were delicious and my kids inhaled them.  I think there was only one left the next day and my daughter took it to school in her lunchbox.

Chocolate Chip Orange Ricotta Muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unrefined sugar (such as sucanat)
1/4 cup coconut oil (or butter), melted
1 egg
1 cup ricotta cheese, full fat
1 tsp. vanilla
zest and juice of an orange
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl combine sugar and orange zest.  Use a spatula to mix it together, smashing it up against the side of the bowl to work out the oil.  Add in egg, ricotta, vanilla, orange juice and stir.  Add coconut oil and whisk until well-incorporated.  Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Line muffin tin with paper liners and divide batter evenly between the wells.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.  Let cool a few minutes in the pan, then cool completely on a wire rack.




SOURCE: Slightly Adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...