Sunday, May 12, 2013

Blackberry Balsamic Pie with Sea Salt Walnut Crumble

I don't eat much pie, even less fruit pie, so it goes without saying that I pretty much NEVER even make pie, except this one maybe once a year on Thanksgiving. Sad for my husband because he likes pie and, again, I rarely make them.  So, making this pie was BIG for me! 

I found this recipe on Pinterest and pinned it quite a while ago but never found much occasion to make it...'cause I never make pie, hehe!  But the ingredients intrigued me and it did look good. Anyway, blackberries came in season and I got a killer deal on a bunch recently so I bought quite a bit, mostly to freeze for smoothies but I saved a few containers out. 

We had some friends over for dinner and served these sliders and I thought this pie would be a good accompaniment, especially since my friend loves fruit desserts.  WOW!  It was love at first bite. I couldn't wait to devour the whole piece.

Now, I'm sure you pie lovers have your own favorite pie crust recipe that you use, so go ahead and use whatever you like .  For the rest of you non-pie makers, like me, go ahead and buy a crust, I give you permission.

Pie-lover or not, you need to make this pie!!  It will convert even the stubbornest.


Blackberry Balsamic Pie with Sea Salt Walnut Crumble

for the crust:
1 store bough deep-dish pie crust, or your favorite homemade one

for the filling:
4 1/2 cups fresh blackberries (about 3 6-oz containers)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
zest of 1 lime (I squeeze a little juice in there too)

for the crumble:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
4 oz. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces

Prepare pie crust and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and lightly toss to evenly coat blueberries.

In a food processor with a chopper blade add the ingredients for the crumble.  Pulse a few times until mixture resembles a coarse meal-same process for making a pie crust. If you don't want the oats to become powder, you could leave them out until the butter is cut in, then add them in a pulse a time or two more to mix them in.

Spoon pie filling into prepared (unbaked) crust.  Sprinkle the crumble over the blackberries, completely covering them.  Bake for 45-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is brown and crisp. About half way through baking, lightly tent a piece of foil over the pie so it doesn't brown too quickly.

Cool and serve warm or at room temperature.


SOURCE: Design Sponge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...