Monday, April 29, 2013

Spicy Bok Choy Rice Bowl


So, I found out the other day my husband thinks I drink a green smoothie and eat a salad every day.  I kind of laughed inside because although that would be great, it doesn't always happen!  Hey at least I eat them enough that my family knows how much I love them and one day they may even follow in my footsteps.

I got some bok choy in my CSA basket a couple weeks ago and I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with it.  I looked up recipes for steamed and cooked bok choy and they didn't look that appetizing.  I prefer to eat my greens raw rather than cooked.

Anyway I had time one day to actually make my own lunch, rather than just nibble on my kids' leftovers, so I decided to throw together some of my favorite slaw ingredients and a simple dressing and it was heavenly!  I don't eat a ton of rice so I kind of surprised myself when I went back for seconds. This makes a great lunch; perfectly filling but not too heavy and loaded with nutrients and flavor. 


Spicy Bok Choy Rice Bowl
3/4 cup brown rice
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
3-4 large bok choy leaves, thinly slices and
1 medium carrot, shredded
3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 green onion, thinly sliced

for the dressing:
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. ginger, grated
pinch red pepper flakes

Garnish:
sesame seeds

Place rice and vegetable stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 50 minutes.

Prepare veggies in a salad bowl and set aside. 

Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

When rice is done cooking, fluf and allow to cool.  You can even spread it out on a plate or tray to cool it quicker. 

When rice has cooled, add it to the salad bowl and toss with veggies. 

Drizzle with some of the dressing and toss again.  Serve in salad bowls and garnish with sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...