Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Apple Sausage Cheddar Quiche


We had some guests Christmas morning and I wanted to make something a little special. We make pancakes all the time so I wanted to stray from our norm, and my husband suggested a breakfast casserole. I went straight to my Southern Living cookbook. It didn't take long for me to make up my mind about what to make, this quiche jumped right out at me. I knew it would be perfect. I also thought it would balance out the cinnamon rolls we were also having.

This is slightly different than your typical quiche and it's not quite as heavy and rich. I used my own chicken sausage and think using the homemade sausage really makes a difference here. It adds to the great flavor without all the grease, salt, MSG and who knows what else in other sausages.

Apple Sausage Cheddar Quiche
1 9-inch pie crust (store bought or homemade)
1/2-1 lb. chicken sausage
1 1/2 cups (6-oz)shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup peeled, chopped cooking apple (I used Granny Smith)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
4 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
Paprika

With your pie crust fitted in a pie plate, prick bottoms and sides of pie crust with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes.

Brown sausage in a large skilled, stirring until it crumbles. Drain and cool.

Combine sausage, cheese and next 5 ingredients; spoon into prepared crust. Beat eggs and milk until blended and pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.

Bake at 325 for 50-60 minutes OR until set. Don't take it out too early.

SOURCE: Adapted from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook

Linked to...
Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's Kitchen

5 comments:

  1. Perfection, this cheddar and apple thing is really popular now. I have to jump on the wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's so good. I did a cheddar apple grilled chees on whole wheat and it was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to appreciate the apple sausage combo more and more -- this quiche sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a decadent breakfast. Your guests sure are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good, Michele! We eat breakfast for dinner all the time, so I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...