Sunday, November 21, 2010

Split Pea Soup w/ Smoked Ham and Kale

Sunday Soup

This soup is simple, savory and very satisfying, not to mention, healthy as well. I grew up eating my mom's split pea soup boiled in water with carrots and onions and a little bit of ham. While this soup is not much different, I used chicken stock instead of water to cook the peas and smoked some ham before I tossed it in. I threw in some greens at the end and it was absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe how such a few ingredients could make something so simple taste so delicious.

Feel free to make this soup your own. Change up the meat and add smoked sausage or make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth and omitting the ham. I liked using kale as my greens because it's very hearty and will stand up to the soup, but feel free to use other greens such as spinach, collard greens or Swiss chard. I also blended about half of the kale into the soup and then took out a portion of the soup for my girls, then added the rest of the chopped kale for my husband and I.

Split Pea Soup w/ Smoked Ham and Kale
1 16-oz bag dried green split peas (about 2 1/3 cups)
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
5 bay leaves
1 - 1 1/2 cups full cooked ham, chopped
4 cups chopped kale

Combine split peas, stock, and bay leaves in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender, stirring occasionally; about 30 minutes. Puree soup either with an immersion blender or a regular blender (1 cup at a time).

Saute ham in a little bit of olive oil until slightly browned. Add ham and chopped kale to the soup and cook 3-4 minutes longer, or until kale is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

SOURCE:Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine.

Linked to...
Seasonal Sunday @ Real Sustenance

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I love split pea soup and I haven't made any yet since the cool weather has started up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delish Michele! I will try this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...