Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mustard Pickles


I had never heard of, let alone tasted, mustard pickles until I was in college. I had a roommate from Canada who brought these with her, along with dilly beans and ketchup chips after she would visit home. I begged her to get the recipe from her mother and thankfully she obliged but it stayed tucked in my recipe file for years until I had a garden of my own and grew my own cucumbers. I love this relish. It's great on tuna sandwiches or hamburgers.

4 quarts small (pickling) cucumbers (about 5 lbs.)
2 quarts onions (1-2 bags of regular size)
2 quarts cabbage (about 1 head)
1 red pepper
1 green pepper

Shred vegetables or chop very small and put in large kettle.

Sauce
12 cups sugar
4 tsp. celery seed
4 Tbsp. salt
6 tsp. turmeric
8 Tbsp. dry mustard

Add 2 quarts vinegar to the ingredients above.

Add the sauce to the vegetables and cook approximately 1 hour until vegetables are cooked.

Make a paste using 2 cups flour and 1-2 Tbsp. sugar. Add a cup of hot vegetables to flour mixture and mix well then pour into the whole batch and cook 1-2 minutes or until thickened.

Ladle into hot canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space; place lids and rings and process in hot water canner for 10 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linkin up to our party. There are so many great tips and recipes and I must say this one of yours for Mustard pickles is very unique. If you get time we'd love for you to post our badge on your page so others can come join the party as well. Happy canning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to see your Mustard Pickle recipe! They are such a favorite at our home... and most people have never even heard of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vividly remember that my mother and aunts from Saskatchewan used yellow and green beans, small carrots, cauliflower, and other vegetables in mustard pickle making. The yellow beans were especially good. Anyone else k in the recipe for these?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...