Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins


I came up with these muffins a few months ago when I was looking for something I could keep on hand for my kids' lunches that was easy, healthy and that they would actually eat.  I figure you add chocolate to anything and they'll eat it right?  Actually these muffins are pretty healthy, full of good fats that my growing kids need and whole grains. I actually really like adding the oats to my muffins and even pancakes because it helps make them light and fluffy.

When I make these I usually do a double batch then throw 2/3 of them in the freezer and just grab them when I'm making lunch in the morning.  I don't even have to defrost them, they're ready to eat by the time lunch rolls around. I've also made them mini, which are even more fun to eat (just make sure to half the bake time).

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup unrefined sugar (I used sucanat)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup Greek yogurt (I always use full fat)
1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 oat flour (I just blend regular oats in my spice grinder or blender)
3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, drained or squeezed of excess water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line muffin tins with muffin liners and set aside.

In mixing bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg, vanilla, yogurt and milk.  Whisk until well incorporated.  (Sometimes if the milk and yogurt are too cold, it will make the coconut oil start solidifying.  In order to avoid this, I sometimes will add the oil last, after I've added the dry ingredients, OR use a more refined olive oil -as opposed to extra virgin-that has little taste.)  Add dry ingredients and stir to combine, then gently fold in the zucchini.

Spoon or scoop batter into prepared muffin pan, dividing the batter evenly.  Muffin wells should be about 3/4 full.  Bake  for 12-15 minutes.  Cool in the pan slightly then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally kill fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...