Thursday, September 1, 2011

Souvlaki Chicken Salad Sandwich w/ Roasted Red Peppers


I haven't made chicken salad for quite a long time. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I ate it! I like it ok, but I'm not a huge fan of mayo...in anything, so I try to stray away from it. I came across this recipe a few weeks ago, I don't even know how, but it so intrigued me. Chicken salad with NO mayo and all the Greek flavors I absolutely love; I say WIN! And oh, was this a winner. My husband took it to work the next day for lunch and raved about how good it was too.

The chicken I used in the salad came from this chicken I roasted earlier the same day. I did use the pan drippings, as the recipe states, the first time I made the salad. The second time I made the salad, I pulled the leftover chicken from the freezer and just used olive oil instead and it was still yummy. Seriously, this is the best sandwich I've had in a long time. You've got to try it!

Souvlaki chicken Salad Sandwich w/ Roasted Red Peppers
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. drippings from roast chicken (optional), or a drizzle of olive oil
2 Tbsp. red onion, finely diced
1/3 cup feta, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
2 small roasted red peppers, sliced in fourths, lengthwise
baby spinach leaves
sandwich rolls or bread

In a small bowl, mix together chicken, oregano, garlic, drippings, onion, feta, salt and pepper. Check for seasonings and add more, if necessary.

To assemble, slice sandwich rolls and put about 1/4 cup of chicken salad on the bottom half of roll. Layer a few spinach leaves on to of the chicken, then top with a fourth of the roasted red pepper and the top half of the sandwich roll. Enjoy!


SOURCE:Adapted from Closet Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...