Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter



Make my own peanut butter???? I think I can die a happy woman now! Next to chocolate, peanut butter is probably my second favorite food. Ever! I could eat it every day. I used to when I was a kid going to school and I still do more often than not.

With a bunch of kids running around here peanut butter is pretty much a staple in our house. We could not live without it. Although I'm usually not a food label snob, when it comes to peanut butter, I subscribe to the school of thought that "choosy mom's choose JIF." I have very rarely bought another brand. I'm oh so loyal.

So, why make homemade peanut butter if I love JIF so much? I have this thing for making everything from scratch that I possible can. Over the past few years we have been trying to get away from processed foods as much as we can. It is much healthier, gives the consumer more control over what goes in the food and it's down right satisfying knowing that you can provide for your family like that.

I've made peanut butter once or twice before and haven't been overly thrilled with the results, so I stuck with the brand name stuff. But, I was pumped about it again when I read about making honey roasted peanut butter, which I have tried before and practically fell flat on my face it was so good. I think I'm ready now to replace that jar of JIF in my cupboard for good with the homemade stuff...and that's saying a lot!

This is a super simple recipe and you don't even need a high-powered blender to make it. You can use a regular blender or a food processor with a chopper blade as well.

Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter
1 lb. raw peanuts* (a scant 3 cups)
1-2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine peanuts, honey and salt. Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, stirring half-way through. Remove from oven and cool slightly.


Place peanuts in a blender or food processor with a chopping blade and blend for about a minute. Scrape sides down and blend for another minute or so.



Scrape sides again and add coconut oil, 1 tablespoon at at time and blend until desired consistency is reached. Check flavor and adjust honey and salt as necessary.



Store in an airtight container for about 2 months in the fridge.

*According to Alton Brown, Spanish peanuts are good for making peanut butter because they have a higher oil content, so that is what I've used. You can choose to leave the skins on or off. I've left them on.

SOURCE: A Sweet Pea Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...